Thursday, September 30, 2004

Is Your Application Web-Enabled?

Today, I read a message in UT forum that ask about "What is Web-Enabled?". I think most of us have seen/heard of the word "Web Enabled" for quite along time but may be not really understand or clear about it.

So, again, what is Web Enabled Application? Is it same as Web Based Application? Answer is No. Then what are the differences?

Before this, I thought that Web based application is app developed using ASP, ASP.NET, Java Applet which involve HTML tag, which only accessed via Web Browser; Web Enabled application, on the other hands, able to send/receive data over internet. For instance, send/receive emails, transmitte data from/to HQ via FTP, calling Web Services to get latest stock share info and etc within tradisional business applications (ex. desktop Payroll System).

After I read this article by Kathleen S. Carr, provided by Al Doman, I think I got to change my mind.

From the article,
Web-based applications are built from the ground up to run over the Web. Web-enabled applications involve adding a Web interface to traditional applications that may have been created even before there was a Web.

So, I have couple of questions here:
  1. If I am using .NET framework to build my application using n-tier architecture. The UI layer is built using ASP.NET for web and also Windows Form for desktop. Is it a Web Based or Web Enabled application?
  2. Almost same question as Q1, Does every application developed using n-tier architecture, would be Web Enabled application? Since, n-tier allows use port our application to other UI easily, doesn't matter what programming langauge is used.
  3. What are the *terms* should be used for applications that able to send/receive emails, transmitte data from/to HQ data via FTP or calling Web Services from other site? Can we call them Email Enabled, FTP Enabled or Web Services Enabled application?
Any ideas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home