Saturday, September 11, 2004

Source Control HOWTO

I have been trying to do source control for my company's source code for a year. I tried tools like SourceSafe and CVS, learned how to use it, get to use the habit of checkin/out source code file before/after coding.

During the learning curve, I faced alot of problems. Most of them are not how to use this tools, but how to apply them. In other words, how to source control?

Eric Sink (SourceGear and SourceOffSite) is writting articles Source Control HOWTO. These articles are not talking about how to use any specific SCM tool, but about do source control more effecitively and more practical in real-world.

Highly recommended for anyone new to source control. Thank you Eric.

[Source : Andrew MacNeill]

2 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you looked at Vault yet? It's available from http://www.sourcegear.com

Free for single user usage

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Chan Kok Kiet (John Jones) said...

Thank you for suggestions. I think my problems is not about how to use a particular source control tool, rather how to use it effectively and more practical. Basically I am not quite sure about it. Just feel that I am "stuck" in the middle. For instance, should I share my Common30 directory and etc... I think I need more really world example ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home